Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I've got a little story for you...Day 37 & 38



I have two children, a boy Robin (7) and a girl Katie (5, those are her sweet little baby brown's in the picture above).  


One afternoon we are walking as a family around the boardwalk in Coeur d'Alene.  Robin, who is a professional 7 year old, is talking a mile a minute and asking question after question, as Katie and my husband and I are walking along the boardwalk.  Katie has gotten tired of not getting a word in the conversation and has taken to carefully stepping on each board of the dock so she doesn't step on any cracks.


At one point Robin says, "Dad, could you throw a football from here to that tree" (about 20 yards away)


Dad answers, "Oh yeah, I could throw a football that far."


Robin asks, "Dad, could you throw a football from here to that boat?"  (about 50 yards away)


Dad answers, "Yeah, I could probably throw a football that far."


Then Robin asks excitedly, "Could you throw a football from here to that house?!" (as he points to a house clear across the lake)


Dad answers, "No Robin, no one could throw a football that far."


And little Katie who's holding my hand, so she can balance on her tippy toes, and concentrating very hard to avoid all the cracks and grooves on the boardwalk pipes into the conversation and just says, "God could."


And we all stopped and looked at her..."you're right Katie, God could."


While I can't think of why God would choose to throw a football clear across a lake, the point is, He could.  If it brought people to Him, brought glory to Him, showed people who He was...God could do that...whether or not He would is up to Him.  


And that's why I love this little moment with my children.  My daughter didn't care how or why God would do it, it was the point that God is that big and powerful and amazing to her, that He could do that in her mind without any question or hesitation or doubt.  That's the Father my daughter is in love with...and it's the same God David loved too.


That's the kind of God we have.  The God David desired, the God who loved David's heart.  


That's the God David defended.  That's the God that can do the impossible...and does the impossible when He chooses.  


It's not up to us to decide when and how God acts...it's up to us to have a heart of knowing He is a great God, who can do impossible things.  God can defeat armies, bring down giants, change hearts...and throw footballs (if he wanted too).


That's my little story and I'm stickin' to it.  


Have you got a good story...a story that shows someone's heart for God?


Share it with us! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment