Sunday, October 16, 2011

I am His workmanship...and you are too. Day 34 & 35







Ephesians 2:10 says, "For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."


This is one of my favorite verses.  I refer to it often as I'm feeling befuddled, or down.  When I question my purpose and how God is working in my life, this verse gives me comfort.


God's word is living and active, and it penetrates better than any two-edged sword...and it is true.  This verse that I have loved so much for many years, is taking on new life for me.


The verse basically says that we are God's creation, created by Christ Jesus, in order to do the amazing work that God already set before us...and we get to join Him.  


Before this little journey with Samson came along, this verse represented solely the idea that I get to go do God's good work, and that He's created me for a specific purpose to accomplish good things He has all set up for me.  I looked at my life as one big, endless journey of hurdles and choices where I get to choose to do what God would have me do in any situation...and that's still true.  


But what Samson (the rockhead) has taught me is that there I times I do some good works on my own (or at least I think I do it on my own)...and I give very little glory to God in the process.  


I need to acknowledge that when good work is done for God's kingdom, and that means ANY good work done...that's the stuff God planned for me to do anyway...and when it's all said and done, I need to be remembering that it was all His idea, part of His glorious plan for me.  The glory ALL goes to Him.  


I've been using this verse only as a comfort, only seeing it from one side...the side that needs to know God's big purpose for me.  I'm not looking at the verse from the opposite side (after the work has been completed), and remembering that when the good stuff happens, that was God moving and working in my life, I experienced Him!  And what do I do?  I blow right past it, wondering when the next thing is going to happen, questioning what He has for me again...


I want to use my gifts for God, and I want to glorify Him for everything, and remember all of the things that God does along the way and all of the things He has set aside for me to do with Him.


I'm feeling quite repentant.  


Father I ask for your forgiveness.  I ask that you forgive me for my pride and for neglecting to acknowledge where You have done good works through me.  I thank you so much for your loving, gracious presence in my life and that you help me to remember that you have given me gifts and abilities and they are to be used to bring You glory.


Hope you've enjoyed the Samson study this week...any input on what God is using Samson to teach you?



No comments:

Post a Comment