Monday, February 27, 2012

The Bigger YES!

It's easier to say "no" when you have a bigger yes.


And right now my bigger yes is on mission with Historic Faith, and our commitment to have the courage for sacrificial generosity.


That's my Historic Faith lesson today.


It's handy it's also in today's devotional...I just think God has a wonderful sense of irony.


I knew I needed to do today's devotional study, but I wasn't in the mood.


Really I wanted dessert. Something fun too, like a quick trip to Dairy Queen for dilly bars sounded yummy...but that wouldn't be happening.


And then shopping seemed like the thing to do. For clothes specifically.


I know spring isn't here yet, but I have got the urge to splurge right now, and nothing is quite quenching my shopping thirst. I'm sure there's one or two of you out there in blogger-land who can agree with me.


However, we are working on our budget and have made our Historic Faith commitment and honestly, it's pretty tight, (if you're real quiet I think you can hear it squeak) so, shopping isn't in my near future...neither is eating out. (at least until the budget is ready)


So...while I was still in my "avoiding sitting down to read the devotional mood" I decided to go shopping anyway...in my closet.


And I have to tell you...I had a great time.


I dug through bins and the far back recesses of closet rods and dug out a couple of sweaters and even found an old scarf I shall be adding to my clothing rotation.


So...the shopping itch was scratched.


But, the dessert desire was still nagging. And then I had an epiphany (I get those a lot)...and I realized I could skip dessert, have an orange and maybe drop a few pounds in the process. So...maybe through this journey I'll have a couple of things to thank God for, including: less debt, more work in the Kingdom, a closer relationship with Jesus, a retro fashion look and a cute waistline.


Hey, a girl can dream, right? Jesus said not all things are possible with men, but with God all things are possible...and there's just no limitations on the ways He might choose to work in me.


And I thoroughly enjoyed reading tonight's devotional and thinking about a bigger "yes," when I had just experienced tonight's little endeavor.


I've got a bigger yes, and that makes it a little easier to say "no" to the novelties...yes, even shopping and DQ dilly bars.


Think what I'll find when I allot a little room in the squeaky budget to hit the Thrift store! :)


H =D

No comments:

Post a Comment