Sunday, December 18, 2011

Some thoughts at Christmas...






It's Christmas time.  

It's the time of year when we remember that Jesus, God himself, gave up His rights and came to us as a baby.  He came humbled and pure, innocent and sweet, and ready to serve us.  

He came so that we could be reunited with Himself.

He came because we chose to walk away from Him.

He came to reunite us...He came to buy us back...He came to redeem us...He came because He loved us.

The classic Christmas carols are really speaking to me this year.  I've sung many of them my whole life...Silent Night, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Angels We Have Heard on High...but I haven't paid as much attention to them as I have this year.

Extra money is very rare for us this year.  This will be the least expensive Christmas we've ever had in ten years of marriage.  And I'm thanking God daily for this gift.  

If I had the money I'd be out shopping, not sitting here with Him...thinking of the purpose of Christmas and singing Christmas carols of praise to Him.

The lyrics to "O Holy Night" are some of my absolute favorites:  

"Truly, He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we, 
with all our hearts we praise His holy name."

What powerful words for a song.  And to think I've sung it my whole life and never really sat down and thought of what the words mean.  "His law is love and His gospel is peace.  Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.  And in his name all oppression shall cease."  

No more oppression with Jesus...He has taught us love and peace.  

He has thrown me a rope to rescue me, a rope that will not bind me in judgement and condemnation, but in love and righteousness...a rope that binds me to Him.

I thank God for the gift of His precious Son, His precious life and His precious blood this Christmas.

What are you thinking about this Christmas?  We'd love to hear from you.

Merry Christmas LIFERS. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment